Although Dr Ferdinand Porsche was responsible for numerous automotive designs during the 1930s, including the Volkswagen. The first car to bear the Porsche name was created by his son, Ferdinand “Ferry”, together with his long-time associate, Karl Rabe. Designated ‘356’, the new car was built in 1947 and shown the following year, finally entering production in 1950. From the autumn of 1953, the 356 was available in the UK, being well received and attracting much attention in the Motoring press with its sure-footed handling and excellent road manners, however, right hand drive models were only by special order. The 356 range was continuously developed and offered in numerous guises and endeared itself to enthusiasts in Europe and in the USA, and was to enjoy an illustrious production run which lasted until 1965.