A LANDMARK YEAR
With our doors having first opened for business in early March, this festive season effectively marks the end of the Landmark Car Co’s inaugural year, and what a year it’s been.
Our high-profile location – on the main road between London’s West End and Heathrow airport – has already attracted an equally high-profile international clientele which includes film stars, captains of industry, rock gods and royalty, all of whom have been impressed not just by the unusually high standard of our cars, but by our unique and intimate boutique retail environment.
This entirely fresh approach to collectors’ car sales has resulted in a significant statistical shift from the norm with around sixty percent of our sales being to previously unannounced ‘walk-in’ customers and about nine out of every ten of cars sold being for export.
Our challenge for 2013 will be to procure top-quality cars in sufficient number to keep our rapidly growing band of discerning customers satisfied.
However, with a healthy and varied stock list (see some examples below) and the seasonal festivities fast approaching we’ll address that situation in January and beyond. In the meantime we look forward to welcoming you to our showroom and wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7
Launched at the 1972 Paris Motor Show, the 2.7-litre Carrera RS was produced to ensure that the 911 model would be fully competitive in the FIA’s Group 4 racing class of the day – a category requiring a minimum production run of 500 cars.
With the standard 911’s 130bhp-190bhp 2,341cc air-cooled flat-six engine enlarged to 2,687cc, (courtesy of flatter, forged pistons and new Nikasil cylinder linings), the RS version made 210bhp – good for a genuine 150mph. This extra urge was complimented by a lighter bodyshell, firmer suspension, bigger brakes, wider rear wheels with flared arches, a prominent ‘ducktail’ rear spoiler and audacious Carrera decals.
Presented here is one of the first RS 2.7s built, and as a ‘Touring’ version it combines the many improvements needed for racing with an upgraded and more civilised interior, thus making the car a far more pleasant drive on the road.
Leaving the Stuttgart factory in February 1973, this RS spent much of its life in France. It was restored in 2008, and, having seen little use since that restoration, a mechanical re-commissioning was more recently undertaken by an official Porsche franchise.
With vivid Glacier Blue paintwork and black interior trim, this stunning 911 faithfully echoes the bold aesthetic tastes of the period. A Rapport d’Expertise and a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche confirm that this is a genuine ‘matching numbers’ example that’s ready to be enjoyed by its new owner on spirited country drives.
1949 Jaguar XK 120 Alloy
The XK120 was originally conceived by Jaguar as a low-volume dream machine rather than a serious production model, but having been launched at the 1948 Earl’s Court Motor Show, the first XK’s popularity both at home and especially in the US ensured that it was to provide a welcome boost to the struggling post-war British economy.
It’s no exaggeration to say that the Jaguar XK120 has already gone down in history as one of the great car designs of all time. Its beautiful swooping body and 160bhp six-cylinder twin cam 3.4-litre engine form part of the story, but with a near-standard XK120 having attained an official 132.6mph on a Belgian motorway in May 1949, the new XK was also regarded as the world’s fastest production car.
The model’s unexpected popularity meant that steel bodywork replaced the expensive aluminium coachwork of early XK120s after 240 had been built. The XK roadster offered for sale here is the 17th of 183 alloy-bodied left-hand-drive versions, and it was originally ordered in October 1949 by the then newly-appointed and later legendary US Jaguar distributor Max Hoffman.
We believe that the car had early race history in the USA. It has period competition features such as ventilated drum brakes, an oil cooler, cooling louvres in the bonnet and knock off wheels. The engine was also upgraded with a C-Type head. The car remained in the States until the 1980s, when it was imported into the UK, unrestored.
The car was subsequently sold to a German collector before being purchased by an Italian family in 1993, (who, incidentally, were that country’s Jaguar distributors), to add in their substantial Jaguar collection. While with them it received a thorough ground-up restoration courtesy of their own Jaguar technicians, and rebuilt mechanicals, a fresh interior, re-chromed and polished bright work and a full re-paint were all part of the work completed. There is a complete photographic record of this restoration.
The car remains in superb cosmetic and mechanical condition throughout, and it eagerly awaits the next chapter in its already well-travelled life.